25 reasons why you should never visit Croatia!
Author: Paul Bradbury
1. Their buildings are falling down
Croatia has a heritage dating back thousands of years, which spectacular ruins such as the Pula Arena, the sixth largest Roman Amphitheatre in the world.
2. Their planes have no wheels
Last year the first scheduled seaplane service in modern European aviation history was introduced to Croatia. Travel like never before.
3. Their buses look funny
With more than a thousand islands to choose from, ferry travel is a romantic part of a Croatian holiday.
4. Their taxis are different
And if you have the money for a taxi, why not enjoy speedboat heaven?
5. The food looks funny
Each region of Croatia has its own cuisine, which all have one thing in common – freshness of ingredients!
6. The wine is unpronounceable
With 130 indigenous grape varieties, including the original Zinfandel, getting to know the wines is a challenge. How do you pronounce Grk?
7. They dress funny
Croatia is a land of tradition, and many festivals include spectacular traditional local dress.
8. Their music has no instruments
Dalmatia's a capella sing is spectacular, and a UNESCO intangible world heritage.
9. They talk a lot about olives
Croatian olive oil is among the best in the world, something you will come across a LOT on your holiday.
10. All their towns are made of stone
If you are looking for beachfront modern skyscrapers, you are in the wrong place. The coast is littered with picturesque walled stone towns.
11. They eat octopus
One of the most popular and unfamiliar dishes is octopus. Don't leave without ordering an octopus salad.
12. They have the weirdest food festivals
They eat dormice, celebrate with broad bean ice-cream, and even a chestnut festival with 40,000 people.
13. Coffee takes an hour
There is no such thing as a quick coffee.
14. They don't understand the need to be on time
Time is relative, perfect on a lazy holiday.
15. There is almost no sand in the beaches
Not familiar with non-sandy beaches. Just look at the clearness of that water.
16. Summer is too hot
What to do in summer with the non-stop sunshine and 1000 islands and more than 1000 km of coast – the beach!
17. Winter is too cold
Croatia is regarded as a summer destination, but attractions such as Plitvice Lakes are stunning in winter.
18. They have more UNESCO sites than World Cup medals
Seven in all, testament to Croatia's rich heritage and natural beauty.
19. Their fish have to swim three times
First in the sea, then in olive oil during cooking, then in wine as part of the meal. Quality and fresh, caught, prepared and enjoyed in Croatia.
20. The Spanish word "manana" comes from the Croatian "pomalo"
The pace of life in Spain may be world famous, but life in Dalmatia could challenge it.
21. The weather never changes
With an average of 2718 hours of sun a year, Hvar is the sunniest island in Europe.
22. They think they have the best beaches in the world
You won't find a Croat who says the beaches are better anywhere else.
23. They think they have the best sea in the world
You won't find a Croat who says the sea is better anywhere else.
24. They think they have the best lifestyle in the world
And while the world argues and fights, life on the Split riva every day of the year.
25. After a week there, you never want to come home
Once you visit, you will fall in love and never want to leave.
How do you explain THAT to your boss back home?